Try Thinking of It This Way
Before working with the Opposite Thinking and Analogy
Thinking models, I took a bit of time to try the warmup of writing about
something that brought me joy this week. I thought that might be a good one to
try because we are all so stressed out and worrying about COVID and the
election. At first it felt a bit forced, I think because the gazillion things I
am worrying about just keep poking at me all the time. It was actually hard to
settle my mind down long enough to think of something joyful. I finally settled
on something that I don’t know was exactly joyful, but it brought a smile, for
sure. I’m not sure if it helped or not in terms of getting creativity going,
but it was a nice little reminder to stop and consider the good things in life.
For the Opposite Thinking exercise, I thought that would be
the easier place to begin because the explanation made more sense to me than
the Analogy model. However, as I gathered my sources, I found it difficult to
use that model because I was thinking in very black or white ways. My project
is more nuanced, I think, so it was hard to wrap my head around how to use the
Opposite Thinking model effectively. In fact, I wound up putting it aside
yesterday and decided I would come back to it today. While I did end up trying
it again, I was having the same trouble with it. I do think the nature of my
project has everything to do with why this approach was less successful because
the Analogy Thinking was much more productive.
Although the Analogy Thinking model seemed more ambiguous to
me at first, it ended up being the most helpful. I came up with many resources to use for my
ideas and was able to rework my model in a way that let me post a bunch of
different yet related ideas on one side. Once I had all of the ideas in one
space, I approached the brainstorming much as I do when developing an
argumentative piece of writing. In essence, all the ideas are listed on little
sticky notes, and I move them around. If it is a hard copy, I do it on a large
sheet of paper. If I do it electronically, I just move virtual sticky notes
around the screen. As I mix and match, new connections arise, and I have a
separate color of sticky notes for the idea nuggets. The Analogy Thinking model
allowed me to re-envision the numerous good ideas I had seen so they could
morph into other possibilities in my mind. In effect, I think it helped me to
better see the best and worst in all of the ideas while drawing connections
that I don’t think I would have made otherwise.
Overall, I think the Analogy Thinking model would be the
option I would be most likely to deploy in my classes because it does a really
nice job of making the mix and match brainstorming process far more relatable
and obvious. Since my work often requires the blending and diverging of ideas,
I can see the approach allowing students (and me) to actively seek out the
differences and pressure points between ideas. These tend to be harder to see,
but with the visual nature of the Analogy Thinking format, I believe it would
help lay bare myriad ideas.



Hi Suzanne - Kit here! I propose a couple of questions for you based on this blog post. Please find my query here: https://thinking4design.blogspot.com/2020/11/raising-quesiton.html
ReplyDeleteHope you are hanging in there!
Most folks are reporting that same trouble -- that they are finding the analogy experience very rewarding and the opposite experience frustrating.
ReplyDeleteI loved seeing your use of Adobe here. It immediately got me wondering about Adobe in general and how odd it is that the makers of Photoshop and Illustrator have such a text centric and not particularly visual engaging tool in Adobe Acrobat.