Raising the Question


 

For my Raising the Question challenge, I chose Jessica Labbe’s “Finding the Balance” post. Jessica starts with an acknowledgment that as a trained social worker, she has to remind herself to disengage sometimes and take time for self-care. Jessica notes that it is quite easy to fall into helping patterns that we deploy in our professional lives a bit to freely in our personal lives. In her situation, her natural leanings toward empathy get her connecting with friends and helping them through their “Very Hard Times,” even as Jessica feels burnt out herself.

She notes that in the podcast, the speakers talk about vicarious trauma and how people who are overwhelmed, stressed out, and frazzled just may snap and lash out at others. Jessica makes an important observation that while these kinds of reactions are understandable, at the same time, it isn’t okay to take out one’s frustrations on someone who may not have any more control than anyone else. Interestingly, she thinks of herself as Mars, the bringer of war, when she becomes blunt. While others may see her bluntness as crochety, Jessica explains that she is really in a sort of “getting down to business” mindset. She is eager to help and make things better, so this affect is actually an indicator of how much she cares. However, others may not interpret her in this way.

In one of her final paragraphs, Jessica makes an observation that resonated with me, and that was the need to try to find shared experiences. She explains that right now, this can be difficult for her because she has feelings of abhorrence for some people that see things very differently from the ways she sees them. I could relate to this very deeply. While I have no desire to turn this into a political rant, I do feel like the current political situation has me looking at some others with a great deal of suspicion and mistrust. I think part of this is because I have coworkers and relatives who see the political situation from a very different standpoint than I do. Yet at the same time, each side seems to be fearing, feeling threatened by, and generally disliking the opposite side based on the same basic kinds of assumptions. I struggle to feel empathy for some of these people.

All in all, I think my question to Jessica really loops back to the element of self-care. Many of us are just not taking good care of ourselves. But on the other hand, I also know some people who seem to be taking advantage of the COVID situation, are missing lots and lots of work, claiming they have a runny nose week after week after week. I know a few who have taken mental health time over and over and over, yet when someone else is struggling, they have no empathy for others. For me, all of these experiences pile up and create resentment and frustration for me. Yet I plow ahead, knowing darned well I am doing way, way, way too much for everyone else and not so much for me. Even though I know I need to practice some self-care, I feel bad when I do it because I could be doing so many other more productive things. So I wonder if somewhere inside, Jessica also struggles, as I do, to turn the depth and breadth of her empathy toward herself and if she does, why does this happen? Is it something deep inside that makes some of us feel like we are less deserving somehow? Or is it having to do with the way females are still raised to be caretakers for others so much of the time? I really want to better understand why it is so hard to truly shower herself with all the empathy she shows others. And this may be too personal a question, which I can respect. However, Jessica has obviously touched something deep in my heart. Maybe it can be of some solace to know someone else sees her, too.

Comments

  1. Thank you, Suzanne! This is such a kind and impactful response, and I really appreciate you giving me some time and space to think this out!

    For me, I think the roots of not always caring for myself come from some early experiences in which I was called selfish for setting boundaries or putting myself first. This very natural, very healthy thing to create protective spaces was often shunned by my social circles - in large part because my peers were jealous and hurting. I can see that clearly now because time has passed - ah, wisdom, if only you came in the moment.

    I also went to undergrad in a place where everyone was playing the stress Olympics - "Oh, you think you're stressed? I haven't slept in five days!" "Oh, you think you have a lot of work? I have two papers and two final exams during finals week!" Productivity and self-care were often seen as at odds with each other - this is now at least a decade away, but I still have friends from that time who push themselves at the risk of eschewing some simpler creature comforts. I know I thought at one point this was the only way to succeed, which, YIKES, there's more to life than that! There is always a tradeoff.

    For me, also, growing up as a woman and being the "mama hen" amidst people who are often hurting play out here. I am learning to put up those boundaries and stick to them despite the discomfort that often accompanies this - and ooh, people do not like it when you push back all of a sudden! Very topical, actually, because I had an argument with a friend about this very topic this week!

    It's funny - I actually feel like COVID, despite all it's taken away, has actually given me good ground to rebuild my standards of self-care. There's not as much to be distracted by - and to riff off of Kleon, there's some real power in being boring and building routines. But again - for me, that's very situational. I am fortunate to live on my own and mostly to be in my own company these days - which is not the case for so many people. It feels weird to say that 2020 has not been terrible for me personally even though chaos spirals for so many.

    I hear you on trying to find that common ground, further complicated by last week's events. I hope that once the intensity lessens we can try to understand where others are coming from - I am definitely not saying agree, but at least have a way to cultivate shared respect and meaning. I think that at least having respect in some form will help us actually talk about major issues that can hopefully be fixed so that everyone can thrive. That's all I want - and would also go a long way towards fixing some of these symptoms of burnout!!

    Best of luck for the rest of your semester, and thanks for the questions! I actually ended up asking Meghan some similar ones too because I was curious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts