Raising the Question
Raising the Question
I’ve chosen Rick Cali’s empathy survey as my reflection point. When I took this survey, it struck me that it is the only one I can remember that was all text-based. This surprised me because what I have seen thus far from Rick is that he seems to have a very adventurous, “thinking way outside of the box” personality. I would have thought Rick’s survey would have included lots of images, maybe some video, and a big dose of tongue-in-cheek humor. Instead, the questions are almost introspective. They peel back several layers of the onion and lay bare some of the deeper elements of the survey taker’s life and personality. This makes a ton of sense, considering the aim of the assignment, but from what I have seen of Rick, including the very bright color palette, I expected his questions to feature humor and maybe some funky artwork, music, or something with a fun twist. Instead, the questions provided layered, nuanced approaches for delving into some deeply personal insights. With this in mind, here are my questions:
I have seen some of your work, and you are very creative with a great many communicative modes. Why, for this project, did you choose a very traditional, text-based approach to understanding your colleagues?
Had you included more of your usual vibrant, fun-loving nature in your presentation, or were you seeking something specific by going with text?
If you have added splashes of personality like the very bright colors you chose for your palette or the fun images I have seen you use in other course materials, do you think you would have been able to get as much useful information from your colleagues?
Based on the responses you received, do you think the text-based approach gave you the kind of information you hoped to gain from your survey?
Do you think doing a very text-based survey could self-limit the kinds of responses you gained from those who dislike writing?

Comments
Post a Comment