IMAGIPHOR
#EDT563 #DTK12CHAT @WickedDecent DanRyder207.com
As part of an EDT 563 project, students are to choose image number 5 on their devices and reflect on whether or not that image is representative of them. In my case, I would say, yes, this image does represent a facet of who I am. This image is from a painting that I used as part of a lesson plan about two or three years ago. The theme for that semester's writing assignments was Race. In one portion of the semester, we focused on what meant and means to be Black in America. The topic dovetailed with an earlier portion that examined the Native American experiences, past and present, with America. This image was among the pieces I used to contextualize the arrival of the first Black slaves in America. It represents a facet of me because I strongly believe that students need to better understand America's history by obtaining a more thorough understanding of all of our history, including the elements that are less well-represented in history textbooks. I know that race and ethnicity played major roles in what was deemed worthy of recording and by whom, and I think it is vital for us to be open to knowing our full history, not just that which was written by privileged White men. This image is part of my desire to provide a more accurate context of our history for students. If we don't know our actual history, I see no clear path to racial and gender equality.

Comments
Post a Comment